Friday, September 16, 2011

Island girl now...

After yet another long hiatus from my blog I have decided it's time to reconnect with you all and catch you up on all that's been going on...quiltie and otherwise.

Last December I moved from Airdrie, Alberta to a mountainside in East Sooke on Vancouver Island in British Columbia...Canada.  I am once again back in my birth province and I couldn't be happier about it.  I've been referred to as somewhat of a gypsy, always on the go, never really laying down roots.  Growing up as a child, we never lived for more than a couple of years in one place.  Not only moving houses but moving from city/town to town and even moving across provinces.  There is something exciting about moving, choosing a new home, setting it up, making new friends and starting over fresh with everything, but believe me there is no shortage of stress involved in adapting to a new place.  In my adult life I have moved 19 times in the last 19 years.  Wow...somehow that sounds worse than it's actually been.  Regardless, I'm approaching 40 at a rapid pace and it's about time I started setting down some roots, and for the first time in my life I have never felt more at home and that I am exactly where I am supposed to be.  I have called the prairies home for most of my life but I have lived on the East coast of Canada and now the West coast and I can honestly say that there is no other place like this gem of an island.  I am perched on the mountainside surrounded by towering trees, overlooking the ocean and the Olympic mountains of the United States, in this little part of Canada's rain forest that I didn't even know existed until now.  I am in awe every time I take in the view, or the smells and sounds of the ocean...I could just pinch myself I am so lucky.  The forest lined winding roads that I was somewhat fearful of at the start, are so picturesque and now seem almost meditative and are so soothing to my soul.  I am always up for a drive and any excuse to get out and explore this beautiful island.
Here is the little bridge at Roche Cove that is on my drive home.

It took a few months, but my quilting studio is up and running and I absolutely love the new space!  Located in what was the attached over sized two car garage, it boasts high ceilings, 2 huge windows, a hand crafted pine loft and my very own xbox media center!!  Can I get a 'hell yeah'?! lol.  I've been busy quilting for my clients from Alberta and I'm lucky enough to have already gained a few new clients on the island.  In July I was selected to participate as a guest in the Stinking Fish Studio Tour and was pleasantly surprised to see 240 people through my studio over the 10 day tour.  What a great experience that was to meet my neighbours, fellow artists, and hopefully what will become new quilting friendships.  Looking forward to next year's tour and all the quilts and things I have planned to make for it.






I still have the heritage theme that I love so much going on in my studio, but I'm not sure now that my olde name fits with my new island surroundings.  Hmmmm...what to change it to??


Cheers!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Good to see you again! Your new studio is amazing! I look forward to hearing about life in your new location. I can totally relate to the "gypsy" life...we're a military family with 16 moves in 25 years. One day we'll finally settle down. :)

QuiltNut Creations said...

So glad to have you back!! I love your new studio

Teresa said...

What a lovely place - looks like a slice of heaven to me. Best wishes for much happiness in your new home.

paront1222@comcast.net said...

Hey Jen....
Can't find your email addy and the link on your site wasn't working for me. Did you ever get the twister templates? I made 2 quilts last week with them and got to thinking about if you got them.
Peggy

Allyson said...

Love your quilt studio! It's gorgeous!

Lesley said...

Hi Jeni I live in England 40 miles South of London and I and a keen quilter for the last 5 years after retiring from teaching. My son and his family have moved to Sooke and we plan to visit in June. Your workroom looks amazing where do I go for fabrics and new ideas in this part of the world?

Rebecca Bevers @ Split-Site PhD said...

I am the same way. I just have not found the right place to lay down roots. I love the pictures. You have found a beautiful place to finally settle and the best part for you is that it is like going home all over again.


Please visit My Webblog